Access summer camp at Ivanova Korita, Cetinje, gathered 45 Access students from Niksic and Rozaje as well as 4 teachers from the USA and 8 teachers from Montenegro from June 24-29, 2019.
During the third day of the camp, students and teachers were elated to welcome our special guest the U.S. Ambassador to Montenegro, Ms Judy Rising Reinke. The topic of our workshop were quotes written by American writers, educators and leaders which students were supposed to discuss and analyze.
During her introductory speech Her Excellence shared her favorite quotes and explained why and how those influenced both her life and work. While sharing the quotes, the U.S. Ambassador to Montenegro highlighted the importance of the quotes for American culture and encouraged students to think about the messages, motivation and strength derived from the quotes.
After the U.S. Ambassador’s talk, students got the opportunity to ask some questions which were mostly related to her impressions about Montenegro. One of the questions students imposed was about things which motivated Her Excellence to succeed in life and start doing work in government.
The latter part of the workshop was devoted to the discussion in small groups. Our guest was kindly asked to take turns in joining each group and discussing the given quotes and tasks with them. Her Excellence told them more about the authors of the quotes, historical facts, and conditions of periods they were living in. Some of the quotes discussed were:
- You have to do your own growing no matter how tall your grandfather was. – Abraham Lincoln
- We must adjust to changing times and still hold to unchanging principles. – Jimmy Carter
- Knowing what’s right doesn’t mean much unless you do what’s right. – Theodore Roosevelt
- We need not fear the expression of ideas – we do need to fear their suppression. – Harry S. Truman
- If we cannot end now our differences, at least we can help make the world safe for diversity. – John F. Kennedy
- I never saw a pessimistic general win a battle. – Dwight D. Eisenhower
The overall conclusion of the discussion was that it is important to think about the significance of self-confidence, self-respect, love, and humanity towards other people. Also, students put emphasis on the matters of diversity and equality. Access students came to the conclusion that it is essential to overcome our fears in order to make progress and not to stagnate.